A very good low-stakes rom-com. There were just a lot of things I liked:
- The return of Tony Randall, who was delightful (and perfectly weaselly) in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? and even more so here.
- A very charming opening credits
- Incredible early-sixties set design and costume design
- A very fun and of-its-time framing device (I was completely unaware of the concept of a "party line"!)
- A generally winsome and tweak-y script and direction which made up for the lack of chemistry between the two leads.
And the only thing I think I disliked is the complete lack of climax/denouement — the last ten minutes seemed to melt away without conflict or actual resolution besides "well, they're together now!"